Quick report....

Well, I figured just a quick update was in order. I am in expensive gringo central 'Playa Tamarindos' at the moment, with Dunya and his brother Pete, basicaly learning to surf in a little paradise. We watched the most perfect Sunset this evening. It goes down just behind a headland, setting the water on fire and allt eh stuff you expect from a perfect tropical sunset. I saw my firsty monke since I arrived the other day, I'll put up the picture some time, he was a cute little fella, but with a dangerous look in his eye... captain material for anyone recruiting a simian army!

Our plan from here is to head south down the pacific coast to Dominical with a few stops on the way at smaller quieter towns where the surf guide gives a promising write up. Wow surfing, Im not very good yet, and the board I was given (long story to be saved for another day) it turns out is for surfing massive waves (it's a 7'4 gun from the workshops of Byrne in California) so not exactly great for learning, and although it would be wiorth four hundred pounds in london, noone here wants to buy it, because there arent any waves like that here bit of a random white elephant I seem to have! Sorry I digress, from there we are going to head on to Dominical, where the girls and I went for my birthday, for a bit of Panamanian Carribean loving. After that I will, I promise you all, get going into the wilds of Colombia, the challenge for that point of the journey is to gitch a lift on a boat from Panama To hopefully Cartagena in Colombia.

I am looking forward to Colombia immensely, as everyone I have met says what a wonderful place it is, and having met a gorup of colombians on the beach last night on the beach, we stayed up laughing and joking and watched the full moon sink towards the sea as the sun rose behind the mountains. Perfect, and i have a friend in a young lady called Irma, who if she is in colombia when I am has promised to show me some sights.

The culture shock of going from Boruca, to the bustling grittiness of city life in San Jose, to the polished veneer of tourist meccadom here is just about subsiding now, and a bit of perspective returning, which is nice. Spending time with the Columbians, who are artisans, selling beautiful things made out of recycled paper to the madding crowds, helped to ground me a bit, away from the false gloss of all the tourism. Anyway, I sense a bit of repitition coming into my prose, a sure sign to stop before rambling descends into inanity.

Love to all of you and all your Mums, J xx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog